May Is Arthritis Awareness Month
Every week at Abramov’s Comprehensive Foot Care, board-certified podiatrists Boris Abramov, DPM and Tatyana Abramova, DPM see patients of all ages suffering from arthritis in their feet and ankles. As we commemorate Arthritis Awareness Month in May, we want to take this opportunity to share information about this painful illness – its signs and symptoms, and steps that you can take to find relief.
Here are six facts you should know:
1. The word “arthritis” actually refers to over 100 specific diagnoses, all of which relate to joint pain and degenerative joint diseases.
2. People of both genders and all ages and races are at risk of arthritis, although it is more common in women and older people.
3. More than 50 million adults and 300,000 children have some type of arthritis.
4. Arthritis is the number one cause of disability in the United States.
5. Symptoms of arthritis include redness, pain, swelling, stiffness in the joints, and limited range of motion.
6. Your podiatrist can help relieve the symptoms of arthritis with treatment including over-the-counter and prescription medications for pain and swelling, steroid injections for inflammation, custom orthotics for cushioning and support and, in rare cases, foot and ankle surgery to correct the source of the problem.
Are you suffering from arthritis or do you have any other concerns about the health and wellness of your feet, ankles, or lower legs? The first step on the road to recovery is a visit with a board-certified podiatrist like Dr. Boris Abramov and Dr. Tatyana Abramova. With years of specialized training and experience, your foot doctor is a specialist and the best-qualified medical specialist to care for this part of your body. Call the friendly staff at Abramov’s Comprehensive Foot Care at 443-872-7052 or click here to schedule a convenient appointment in our comfortable, modern Pikesville office today.