Five Tips for Back to School Shoe Shopping
It’s that time of year again...from kindergarten to senior high, kids are headed back to school. Before you send your son or daughter out to wait for the bus wearing new shoes, here are some tips from Dr. Boris Abramov and Dr. Tatyana Abramova to help you make the best choices for your child.
- Shop with your child. Don’t purchase shoes for younger children just because they’re on the shelf in “the right size.” Instead, take your child to the store and have his or her feet professionally measured at each visit to ensure a proper fit. Similarly, don’t send older children to the mall to purchase their shoes without you. Teens often prioritize fashion over function. It’s best to supervise their footwear choices and help them learn what to look for in shoes.
- Go shoe shopping in the afternoon. Feet tend to swell slightly during the day and are biggest in the afternoon. Buying shoes at this time ensures a comfortable fit all day long.
- Buy shoes made of natural materials such as leather. These allow for “breathability.” Do not choose shoes that are overly flexible in the middle. Strong arch support will provide greater comfort throughout the school day.
- Don’t let anyone tell you that shoes need to be “broken in.” That’s nonsense. When children’s shoes fit appropriately, they are comfortable from the first day.
- Don’t buy used shoes. While you might get a great deal at a consignment shop or a second-hand store, those shoes might come with bacteria or fungus that can cause infection, or can have lost their support and cushioning over time.
Are you concerned about proper shoe fit or anything else related to the health and well-being of your son or daughter’s feet, ankles, or lower legs? With years of specialized training and experience treating patients of all ages, your podiatrist can help. Call Abramov’s Comprehensive Foot Care at 443-872-7052 or click here to schedule a convenient appointment with Boris Abramov, DPM and Tatyana Abramova, DPM in our comfortable Pikesville office. Our doctors will put your child at ease and then conduct a thorough examination resulting in a specific and accurate diagnosis. Then we will work with you to create an effective plan for treatment and ongoing care as necessary.